Graft case against CS Kamau for next month

A Nairobi court yesterday ordered the corruption case to proceed against suspended Transport Cabinet Secretary Michael Kamau and seven other government officials.

Kamau faces five charges of abuse of office and irregular use of public funds.

Trial magistrate Lawrence Mugambi issued the order after rejecting an application for adjournment by defence lawyers led by Cecil Miller.

The case had been scheduled for hearing yesterday.

But the defence lawyers said their clients filed a petition in the High Court, which will be heard on November 12.

They wanted the trial stopped pending the outcome of the petition.

Senior assistant Director of Public Prosecutions Alloys Kemboi opposed the application, saying no restraining orders have been obtained by defence.

He said the prosecution is ready.

This article was published by the STAR NEWSPAPER on October 27, 2015