I won’t go for out-of-court settlement, says Shebesh

A high-profile legal battle looms between Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero and Women’s Representative Rachel Shebesh after the latter vowed to ignore a court order requiring them to reconcile.

Shebesh’s lawyer Cecil Miller said they are pursuing assault charges against the governor, a legal battle that will see both Kidero and her prosecuted for assault and creating disturbance respectively.

“There are no discussions ongoing and my client wants the full force of the law to take effect. There are no intentions to strike any agreement out of court,” said Miller.

Last Friday, High Court Judge Isaac Lenaola ordered the duo to engage in reconciliation talks for an out-of-court settlement within seven days or face prosecution after a petitioner, Alex Ochako, successfully filed an application to court to block Kidero’s prosecution.

Director of Public Prosecution Keriako Tobiko recommended prosecution of the duo after they were involved in a dramatic public altercation at the City Hall in September last year.

The DPP’s office forwarded files to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations boss Ndegwa Muhoro to prepare charges against the two after the adduced evidence proved sufficient to sustain the case.

Shebesh had accused Kidero of slapping her, an incident that was captured on camera as she led protesters to his office last year.

Consequently, she recorded a statement at Parliament Police Station.

Kidero too recorded a statement at the Central Police station, accusing Shebesh assaulting him.

This article was published by THE PEOPLE on January 6, 2014