Sonko Sh14 million tender case pushed to next month

A case in which Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko is facing corruption charges involving a Sh14.1 million tender for heavy equipment has been adjourned to October 6.

The hearing was to start on Monday, but the Director of Public Prosecutions said they are not in a position to proceed.

The court heard that another corruption case Sonko faces, involving two others before Magistrate Douglas Ogoti is ongoing and a protected witness is expected to take the stand.

The Sh14 million case was to proceed Monday and Wednesday.

The defence led by Lawyer Cecil Miller was not opposed to the application.

Magistrate Peter Ooko adjourned the case to October 6.

Last week, Sonko, Fredrick Odhiambo trading as Yiro Enterprises , ROG Security Limited and its director Antony Otieno Ombok, alias Jamal, pleaded afresh after the Director of Public Prosecutions amended the particulars of the offences alleged to have been committed .   

The accused appeared before trial magistrate Peter Ooko. They denied the charges, including conspiracy to commit an offence of corruption, conflict of interest, money laundering and acquisition of proceeds of crime.

In the case, it is alleged that the governor, in December 2018, received an indirect private interest of Sh8.4 million from Fred Odhiambo in a contract for hiring heavy equipment.

ROG Security and its director Jamal were further accused of unlawfully receiving Sh14 million through Equity Bank from Odhiambo. The money was in respect of a contract for hiring heavy equipment. ROG is accused of having received it whilst knowing it formed proceeds of crime.

Magistrate Ooko said earlier bond terms issued to Sonko and his co-accused would remain pending the hearing and determination of the matter.

This article was published by The Star on 21/09/2020.